"Don't wish me happiness I don't expect to be happy all the time....It's gotten beyond that somehow. Wish me courage and strength and a sense of humor. I will need them all." Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Thursday 26 January 2012

The Story Behind the Afghan

It's two months today until my due date. It's a celebratory feeling, knowing how far I've come and how little time is left until the big event.

As the pregnancy has progressed I'm nesting and travelling inward. There's a certain peace that has come that everything is going to be okay. I dream about meeting my baby and I think about my rite into this sacred passage and anticipate how it will continue to change my life. My baby is my blessing and my inspiration. It has also been a time of great loss. It has left me feeling like I can never love or trust a man again.

The afghan I knit for my friend tells this story. The afghan like my life was knitted and lived spontaneously and progressed and unfolded in the now. It tells not just the story of my life over the last year but of a friendship through the years forged hiking through meadows and forests on the way to mountain tops.

There are two quotes that have helped me over the last seven months. The first hangs in a small pottery plaque above the toilet in a house I clean. It says, "Listen to your heart --- it knows where it is going." The second I found in my bible, "He gently leads those who are with young." Isaiah 40:11

No comments:

Post a Comment