"Don't wish me happiness I don't expect to be happy all the time....It's gotten beyond that somehow. Wish me courage and strength and a sense of humor. I will need them all." Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Saturday 31 January 2015

When to quit?

I have observed that as I have gotten more proficient at knitting I make fewer mistakes. At least this is the general rule. This afghan which is 6 feet long and is for my nephew is perfect and it was a pattern that fell off my needles. After I finished it I did some other knitting and then I decided to knit a pair of baby booties. A gift for a special baby not yet born. It was also a tribute knit to my late grandmother as the day of her passing nears. In memory of her I had a very particular way that I wanted them to look so I grabbed some Bernat softee baby yarn and cast on. The pattern I felt was to be found somewhere between intuition and my needles. I also skipped the very manditory and highly recommended sage advice to knit a swatch so it should have not been a surprise to me that at the end of the evening I had a bootie suitable for Bigfoot baby. The next evening I started again. I have a pole, battery LED lamp that I use for knitting and it works very well. As it is portable I am able to put the lamp anywhere I feel like knitting. Sometimes that's bed, the couch or in front of the stove. Something can be said for the luxury of watching a genuine fire on the other side of the glass. I settled in for a good knit and what happened next was not normal for me. My second attempt failed and so each evening became another failed try. Although each time I did progress a teeny bit further. Still one morning in disgust I bagged the project and put some new yarn in my basket. I wanted to knit some coasters for my kitchen. But that night I pulled the bootie back out of the bag. By now I had lost count of how many times I had tried. I asked myself why not quit? This was obviously not fulfilling right now. The only answer I got back was knowing when to quit and what to spend my time on is all about keeping my priorities straight. I can't show you the finished booties now - it's a secret- but sometime I will.

Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment