"Don't wish me happiness I don't expect to be happy all the time....It's gotten beyond that somehow. Wish me courage and strength and a sense of humor. I will need them all." Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Sunday 30 July 2017

Wild berries

Years ago rather than plant grass I encouraged wild plants to grow in my yard. Salal and Oregon grape are native berry bush's on the BC coast and both are plentiful in my yard. Salal and Oregon grape compliment each other. Both of them ripen at the same time. Salal has a lot of pectin in it and will thicken the combination. Oregon grape has seeds in it which I remove before cooking. This is my recipe for a wonderful, rich, fruity, syrup that we have been feasting on for several weeks. 3/4 cup of salal berries with 10-20 Oregon grape berries; 2 Tablespoons white sugar; 1/2 cup water. Put all ingredients into a kettle and boil gently for 15-20 minutes. Once the berries begin to soften I mash them with the back of a spoon. I serve the syrup on sourdough pancakes or oatmeal pancakes with berries added in.

Sent from my iPhone

4 comments:

  1. Yum...looks like blueberries! I had never heard of Salal before now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. that looks amazing....like Sandi, I have never heard of Salal either. Neat...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks sooo yummy. Love the color, too! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. We don't have salal berries here, but we do have oregon grapes, I wish we did... what a wonderful recipe you have come up with these berries! Yummy on pancakes!

    ReplyDelete