"Don't wish me happiness I don't expect to be happy all the time....It's gotten beyond that somehow. Wish me courage and strength and a sense of humor. I will need them all." Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Sunday 23 July 2017

Mending

For me fair weather is the time to mend that which is broken. When the unusually high amount of snow we received in February fell off the main part of my roof onto my deck roof it damaged two sheets of plastic roofing on the deck. What a blessing that I had exactly two extra sheets tucked away behind the shed and all that was necessary was to remove the damaged ones which were one sheet in from the end of the roof and replace them with the new ones and put the undamaged end sheet back on. I built this deck alone and I completed this repair by myself as I knew exactly what had to be done. Another repair was the driftwood garden gate which meant a trip down to the beach. Along with my little girl I brought my handsaw, square and a measuring tape in my backpack. I cut a piece of cedar driftwood and than packed it home and screwed it onto the gate. It's nice to have it working again. If only it was as easy to mend a broken heart. It's been years now since my partner walked away from me when I was pregnant yet I continue to live with a grief that has never ended. I understand a broken heart. This experience has left me with an understanding gained only by living with it. The pain worsens when I think about myself. The pain lessons when I turn to God and think about him. When the grief hits me hard - and believe me it still does on a regular basis- the best thing I can do is sing hymns or read scripture. Both of these result in one thing; I take my eyes off myself and I look to Jesus and He fills me with peace and hope. Real love I am struggling to understand but I have learned that it does not abandon - ever. " I will not fail you or abandon you." Joshua 1:5 God has rescued me. I am left in awe at this love so undeserved yet this is God showing me Himself. It is God who says," Do not be afraid or discouraged, for I The Lord your God, am with you wherever you go."Joshua 1:9 In the years that followed after my partner left it was God who stuck around and I know that no matter what or how many wonderful things I say about Him I can never repay His love - for love is Him.
Sent from my iPhone

6 comments:

  1. Dear Ronda, I'm a very old lady and have had crosses to bear, too. It seems all of us have in one way or another. Suffering of any kind is painful. I'm so happy to know that you've found a way to overcome your pain when it becomes unbearable. I hope this won't be offensive in any way, but here is a Catholic viewpoint on suffering (although this article is based on physical illness)
    http://www.thedivinemercy.org/library/article.php?NID=2677
    God bless and keep you and your precious daughter. Listen and you will find the purpose He has in mind for you! (I think you already have.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry that you suffer with the grief of your loss, Ronda. As Ruth said, I am happy to know that you have found moments of comfort in prayer. There are days when my own pain is great and while I do not pray regularly, I should, because when I do, I feel better. On a completely frivolous note, I have to say, your driftwood gate is so charming. It is creative and totally magazine worthy. You my friend are a true artist. Sending hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is no timetable for overcoming grief. It can often be a long and painful process. I am happy that you have found a way to work through yours. I love your gate. How wonderful that you were able to source it from your beach. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. I echo everything Laura wrote. Sending gentle hugs your way, my friend.

    ReplyDelete