"Don't wish me happiness I don't expect to be happy all the time....It's gotten beyond that somehow. Wish me courage and strength and a sense of humor. I will need them all." Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Tuesday 8 March 2016

Wet!

It's been raining a lot but since it is spring I have gone back to work. The little angel is dressed in a pink raincoat and pink rubber boots. This makes it easy to spot her amidst the green of the forest. We walk to work in a drippy rain which soon turns to a pouring rain and than alternates to a rain. I gather limbs and rake sticks amongst the trees listening. I find pleasure amongst them and they enrich me like a conversation with a good friend. Soon I am wet. My wool sweater and long wool skirt are soaked. But I am warm. It is my hands that will get cold first as I am wearing cotton fingerless gloves. I watch my daughter gathering cones off a fallen hemlock branch. She fills the pockets on her raincoat with them. I think about what we can do with them later. I find fish bones under trees, seagull feathers and the skull of an unknown songbird which I carefully set aside to bring home. We look at the bark on a Western Red Cedar. "It's a raincoat I tell her for the tree." I marvel at the ability of the local aboriginal's who long ago wove water proof poncho's and hats from this bark. Eventually we walk home. I hold the little wool mittened hand in my mine and feel joy. We linger. We wade through puddles and stop to nibble on primrose blossoms. The rain stops. When we get home I chop wood and than kindling. The little angel helps me put it in the wheelbarrow and than I haul it to the woodbox on the covered deck and than we play catch with a ball. We go inside and I look out the window - it's raining again.

Sent from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. Oh dear Ronda, such a delightful post! I have learned to love and enjoy the rain too! Bless your heart out there raking leaves and sticks in the rain, that is hard work. I did some of that today and my back is reminding me of it now, lol! Your little angel is so precious, and what a joy to have her sweetness with you as you work. We are getting a lot of rain here too, but looking at it thankfully because of the dry summer we had last year, hoping that we won't have a repeat of that this year! Hope you are now warm and dry in your cozy cabin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the post. Yes, it is still very wet here although after today this week looks drier. I'm glad your weather is wet and may hopefully bring you reprieve from summer wild fires. Like you when either of us does get cold it's time to go inside or get a fire going outside. Like your observation it's a very different way to experience rain whether you are walking in it, working in it or looking at it from an inside window-like I am doing right now! Thanks for your visit. Ronda

      Delete