"Don't wish me happiness I don't expect to be happy all the time....It's gotten beyond that somehow. Wish me courage and strength and a sense of humor. I will need them all." Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Friday 16 May 2014

Locked in

The baby robins in the nest just off our deck hatched this morning. We both watched the last baby break free from its egg. Yesterday I was sweeping out piles of crispy, brown arbutus leaves in an outdoor shower at a cabin I was cleaning. What I didn't realize was that my two year old daughter who I will now refer to as pumpkin had picked up the empty propane bottle I had put there to prop the door open. Even when the door slammed shut I didn't realize there was a problem until I went to leave and saw the rotted pull cord and then I knew I was locked in. There was no room to crawl underneath but I was able to get up on the wall. From there it was easy to reach the rake that happened to be leaning against the outside wall and I used it to flip the latch open which was located out of toddler reach. Had the rake not been there I would have lowered myself down over the wall as I was not going to wait until Raven let me out. Speaking of ravens I watched one several days ago from a distance raid a robins nest. I'm glad there are lots of robins and it was not a mountain caribou. According to a count just completed there are 18 left in the Selkirk herd. When will Wilderness be more than scenery? It's not just about the caribou. It's about our loss for not needing the animals.

No comments:

Post a Comment