"Don't wish me happiness I don't expect to be happy all the time....It's gotten beyond that somehow. Wish me courage and strength and a sense of humor. I will need them all." Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Friday 7 March 2014

My kitchen counter

This morning I heard a robin singing down by the garden. It means alot to me to be in that moment of transition. I know there is at least one roosting in the cedar tree by the shed. Maybe now there is a pair. My hands are very soft and when I'm doing firewood I'm getting alot of slivers. While one solution may be to wear gloves unless it's cold I prefer to work barehanded. The other solution is to keep going.
Everyday the cabin smells like fresh laundry or baking and often both. One of my kitchen counters is the original cabin door (I love it for its recycling simplicity). I used it as a diaper changing table but when my daughter outgrew it watercolours over the space as I like to stand when I paint. Now that I've got an easel the counter is clear. (The way I Like it.) It is being used again for what it was intended for. My toddler daughter helps me bake. It's really nice to look together through the old windows with their wavy glass and I like the extra light. These windows came from a demolition house in Victoria, B.C. How many generations of women before us looked through these panes? Outside it's been anywhere from plus two to five degrees Celsius. The perfect temperature of a fridge. Yes, that's a hummingbird feeder you see hanging in the window. I'm feeling a little hopeful!
Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment