"Don't wish me happiness I don't expect to be happy all the time....It's gotten beyond that somehow. Wish me courage and strength and a sense of humor. I will need them all." Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Sunday 1 September 2019

Where is the monarch?



I sketched my daughter with her butterfly net and myself holding the wildflowers that she picked me. We were looking for the monarch butterfly which does not live on the pacific coast island we called home. It was a late summer afternoon and we wondered along a red, dirt road to the sea. It seemed like we would not see a single monarch and we didn't that day. Than, one sunny afternoon while we sat inside the cottage and looked out through our screened door we both saw the butterfly. It was flitting around right in front of our eyes next to the screen. "Monarch!" my daughter cried. We ran to the outside door to gather our nets and than to the screened door but the butterfly was gone- forever. Was it really a monarch? I don't know but I thank God for graciously gifting us not only with memory but with good memories of a summer on PEI.

Sent from my iPhone

5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful story and I love the sweet simplicity of your sketch. I can 'feel' how that day was for you. Hope your weekend is happy and blessed. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diana It is one of those sweet summer memory’s that I want to preserve forever......

      Delete
  2. I haven’t seen any monarchs since I came here in 2010. You were very fortunate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I've read recently that monarchs are threatened and inching toward being endangered. They are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete