"Don't wish me happiness I don't expect to be happy all the time....It's gotten beyond that somehow. Wish me courage and strength and a sense of humor. I will need them all." Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Sunday 6 November 2016

Scrunchies

I've been sewing scrunchies. I make these because I can make the multiple sizes I need in the colours I like and save money at the same time. Another big plus is that my home made ones last longer. The first time I sewed a scrunchie I took apart a worn out one which gave me my initial pattern. Sewing scrunchies are quick and simple. You cut out and sew a rectangular tube leaving both ends open. I sew them on my treadle sewing machine and leave a 1/4" seam allowance. Turn it right side out and insert 1/4" elastic. Tie a knot with the ends of the elastic together. With a needle and thread sew the tube shut. I like to tuck one unfinished edge in and fold over the other raw edge and slip stitch shut. For a large scrunchie my fabric is 21 1/2" long by 3 1/2" wide. The elastic is 8 1/2" long. For a medium size scrunchie I use a piece of fabric 12 1/4" long by 3 1/4" wide. The elastic is 7 1/2" long. The green one is a small scrunchie suitable for my four year old and I used a piece of fabric that is 7 1/2" long by 3" wide. The elastic was 6" long.

Sent from my iPhone

5 comments:

  1. Aren't those simple.sweet homemade things just the best?
    Blessings to you this Sunday night- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to wear scrunchies in high school and now they are back in style for the high school girls! I am going to keep your post in mind and maybe whip up a few for their stockings! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny thing is Kim I never stopped wearing them. I have waist length hair and they are just so gentle on my hair.... I think they would make a great stocking stuffer because you can choose fabrics with prints/colors they will love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Growing up, as we sewed our own clothes, I would always make a scrunchie to match. Also, because I am petite, every time an outfit was altered, I would use the leftovers to make scrunchies. Thanks for sharing the dimensions, it has been a long time since I've made any. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's what I'm doing- using left over fabric from skirts I made in the past. I also made some from dresses my daughter has outgrown. How many scrunchies have you lost? Thank goodness for fabric scraps as I've lost track.

    ReplyDelete