"Don't wish me happiness I don't expect to be happy all the time....It's gotten beyond that somehow. Wish me courage and strength and a sense of humor. I will need them all." Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Sunday 25 September 2016

A good mug

Twenty years ago I bought this mug new. I have utilized it regularly since than. It was a good choice. It has outlasted the men in my life. Lately, however I have noticed staining and pitting on the bottom and I decided to replace it. To my dismay I found that while Waechtersbach still makes the same style of mug they are now being manufactured in China instead of Spain. I guess it's time for a change. How hard can it be I wondered to find lead free or almost lead free North American pottery dishware manufacturer's? At this point I have found three options. Homer Laughlin China Co., Emerson Creek Pottery and HF Coors all clearly state on their website that their dishware is lead free or nearly so. Whichever I choose I know the new one's will still match these mug rugs I knit up in worsted wool. Each one took part of an evening. It was a great way to use up left over yarn. If you knit you can make these easily too. Just draw out your design on ordinary graph paper allowing 1 stitch for each block. My red Waechtersbach mug is still as perfect as the day I bought it. It reminds me of sweet days long ago and good decisions.

Sent from my iPhone
Sent from my iPhone

9 comments:

  1. I am a little alarmed that there is pottery out there that is not lead free! What??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The amounts of lead are monitored by the FDA since the 1970's. This is why it is so important not to use chipped, cracked or scratched dishware. If you want to learn more I would suggest a google search.

      Delete
  2. Well, I have learned something today! I did not know that lead was still in pottery! And I had never heard of Waechtersbach pottery before. How wonderful that the mug has lasted you for 20 years! Amazing! Your mug rugs are very cozy looking too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I learned something too. I was just looking for a mug replacement not made in China. I don't feel like such an idiot now based on your honest reply and of other's. Thank you. The FDA regulates the amount of lead allowed in dishware and has been doing so since the 1970's. I have read plenty of online accounts of children with lead poisoning in the United States and after testing everything in the house the dinnerware was found to be responsible. I would suggest doing a google search if you want to read more. Ronda

      Delete
  3. I remember hearing decades ago that I should not use pottery that came from Mexico for food items, but I also was not aware that lead is still a concern generally. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, your absolutely right when you say pottery from Mexico bought while in Mexico should not be used for dinner ware. This also includes other countries as well. The amount of lead allowed in North America in dinner ware is regulated which will probably give most people peace of mind. If you are wondering about any of your dishes there are home lead testing kits available for dish ware. Google it if you want to read more. Ronda

      Sent from my iPhone

      Delete
  4. Lead in pottery- I didn't know! Your mug is cute though ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, yes, the lead. I am so careful when I buy and some pieces I adore, and shouldn't but have to have for display. I always tell my family, "Just for show. Do not put food on those." I am glad you still have the red one. Red is good. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too worry about lead in the glaze of many things that comes from China and Mexico. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete