"Don't wish me happiness I don't expect to be happy all the time....It's gotten beyond that somehow. Wish me courage and strength and a sense of humor. I will need them all." Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Sunday 7 August 2016

When things need repair

No matter how practically simple I try to keep things invariably I still deal with repairs. Some things have helped me like anticipating what may go wrong and planning for that and if possible to postpone a decision on how to deal with a break down for as long as possible. This is generally not easy but it has saved me money. Sometimes by holding off long enough I will be led to a new decision that I had not previously entertained. There are other things I do. I take into major consideration worst case scenario and I google a lot of things. Prayer which I have mentioned last is in reality my first choice. I had a section of fencing that was falling down and I was faced with what to do. I took my time - prayed over it- planned out exactly how I was going to rebuild it and eventually I did. While it was a relief to complete this repair it came easier than I anticipated and I was left wondering why I often feel so incompetent. Still there is an incredible feeling of satisfaction in doing a good job and in getting it done. The picture is of my Estwing hammer that I "splurged" and bought for myself just before I began my cabin renovation and it is a pleasure to use. It was this tool that taught me that a well built tool is part of a process and in that way a good fit between you and it go beyond the definition of an object much like a good fitting brau is more than a clothing item.
Sent from my iPhone

4 comments:

  1. My husband is s a big DIY guy, whether it's the car or the house, he's always working on something. He always says that having the right tool makes all the difference. And BTW, incompetent is a word that never, ever comes to mind when I think about you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a blessing to me! Thanks Kim for your visit. Ronda

    ReplyDelete
  3. If anyone would ask me how I use a hammer I would answer:"Very caaarefuly!" It seems like it always ends up on one of my nails...the nails on my fingers that is. I always ask the husband to help with projects that needs a hammer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela It's possible that your husband's hammer may be too heavy for you. Hammers come in different weights. 16 oz is a light one and 22 oz being heavy. When you use a hammer grasp it at the end of the handle and not in the middle. Practice will give you accuracy. Hope that helps. Ronda

      Delete