"Don't wish me happiness I don't expect to be happy all the time....It's gotten beyond that somehow. Wish me courage and strength and a sense of humor. I will need them all." Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Sunday 31 January 2016

Storms

I fell asleep to silence and in the morning there was a storm. The trees were clanging like escaped church bells. We followed our daily routine and went downstairs. I lit a candle and then I made a fire in the wood stove. As I waited for the fire to build itself up so that I could add some larger blocks I poured myself some mostly hot water left in an insulated thermos into my mug. Outside the storm raged and inside there was another. My daughter was having a tantrum. She was lying on the floor kicking. I have written much about the beauty of parenting and about the fatigue but I haven't written about this. Tantrums it seems are as common to young children as winds are to a coastal winter. The room suddenly filled with orange light. I scooped up the toddler with the tear stained cheeks and we rushed outside the door to watch orange clouds like goldfish in a pond. I looked at the little face and saw a smile. No tantrum and no storm can last forever. "...weeping may remain for a night, but rejoicing comes in the morning." Psalm 30:5
Sent from my iPhone

8 comments:

  1. Ah, I remember those tantrum days. They disappeared after a bit. Now in the teen years, they are back again! Lucky me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ronda, you've been on my mind and so I stopped by. I'm so glad I did. I've missed reading your posts. Love the thought of you in your cozy cabin with the orange light flowing through the window. Your image prompts me to brew a cup of tea. Your blue and white embroidered piece is so pretty. Hugs to you and your sweet girl. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy How lovely to hear from you! The table runner was cross stitched by my late great grandmother. I have quite a few of her pieces but the biggest legacy she gave me as I have realized in more recent years was her devotion to God. This is a gift my grandmother's also gave me. I hope your tea was good and thanks for stopping by. Ronda

      Delete
  3. Ahh, the tantrums... yes, it is hard for little ones to realize that they are not the center of the universe, and it is just a time thing that will pass... just as you wrote, no storm lasts forever! How wonderful that you were able to distract her with the beautiful storm clouds! OH how I love to see the orange clouds in the sky... just magnificent! Praying the Lord blesses your day today :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure don't want anyone to get the impression that my toddler hasn't had her share of tantrums. The orange light was a blessing and a bit of morning grace for me. God is good! Thanks for stopping by. Ronda

      Delete
  4. My heart melted as I read this, picturing the whole scene. How-because I have precious 3 and 1 year old granddaughters! It was inspired to take your daughter outside to share the orange clouds in the sky. I do love that so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dewena Grandchildren- such a precious gift you have! I'm sure you love to share clouds with them too. Thanks for sharing. Ronda

      Delete