"Don't wish me happiness I don't expect to be happy all the time....It's gotten beyond that somehow. Wish me courage and strength and a sense of humor. I will need them all." Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Saturday 21 June 2014

The abandoned herb

I planted lemon balm probably about 5 or 6 years ago and until this spring I have only noticed it when it comes to life each spring when it wakes up with the blooming daffodils. Lemon balm is easy to grow and does best in shade. It has a subtle, delicate lemon taste and has many medicinal qualities that you may want to check out for yourself. I've been experimenting with it and one of my favourite recipes that I've created is this pesto. Here is my recipe:
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil; 1-2 small cloves of garlic; 1/2 lemon plus the zest; salt; 7 pecan halves; 1 cup chopped lemon balm leaves. I have found that the best way to make this is to put the olive oil, salt, pecans, lemon juice and zest and garlic cloves in the blender and blend until smooth. Then slowly add in the chopped lemon balm leaves. Serve over any type of warm or cold pasta or oven cooked potatoes. When my plant grows back I am going to add 1 tablespoon of freshly grated Parmesan.
Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment