"Don't wish me happiness I don't expect to be happy all the time....It's gotten beyond that somehow. Wish me courage and strength and a sense of humor. I will need them all." Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Sunday 20 May 2018

Soil


My grey water system came about as the result of my own experiments on learning what works and what does not. It's very simple. An empty ten gallon bucket sit's upside down buried in the ground with sand around and under it but not in it. On the bottom of the bucket is a hole for 1 1/2" ABS pipe to enter. This keeps vermain away. On top of this is more dirt and a small cedar slab to mark the spot. Over time the bucket slowly fills up with debris that goes down my kitchen sink. Using a sink strainer slow's it down and since I share my kitchen with my weaving studio there are exhausted dye bath's that go down there too. There is also a bathroom sink and a shower that I plumbed into this system. Eventually when the bucket fills up with debris it must be dug up and emptied. The question is what will I find? When I dug it up this spring the sand surrounding the outside of the bucket was rich with nutrients and there was an abundance of wild red wrigglers and earthworm's living there. I filled up a wheelbarrow with it and brought it to my garden. I feel like I am doing something positive for the earth. The organicness of it fills me with wonder and hope.

Sent from my iPhone

7 comments:

  1. It inspires me how you DO this... You figure it out. You are your own plumber. It just makes me think of all the things that are totally doable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are literally the most capable woman I know...capable person I know! I am fascinated by what you create and how you create it. Your daughter is a lucky girl. What a fabulous role model she has...

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGOSH!!!! I found you again. I spent about two hours today looking for your blog. For some reason it dropped off my list. I was away from blogging for quite a while with life changes and preparing to move. I am so glad that I found you again. I put you on my sidebar so I don't miss any posts.

    I feel like I have found a little piece of myself and I am so very glad you are still blogging. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very sweet and I am very glad to hear from you!

      Delete
  4. Oh wow! What a great way to make soil rich! How creative and awesome! I'm gonna talk to my husband about doing this too, what a great way to put all that water to great use! Hugs to you sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marilyn email me if you have any further questions.

      Delete