"Don't wish me happiness I don't expect to be happy all the time....It's gotten beyond that somehow. Wish me courage and strength and a sense of humor. I will need them all." Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Wednesday 25 January 2017

Wheat free-sugar free vegan cookie recipe

I like to have these Sesame Seed cookies with a chicory hot drink. The chicory is grown in my garden, cut into tiny bits and roasted in the oven. Than, I grind it up with a mortar and pestle. Chicory has a coffee like taste but without the caffeine. It has a number of health benefits that you may wish to look up on google. The manufactured drinks, Krakus or Akava both have chicory as an ingredient in it but it tastes much better when it comes out of the garden. The coffee taste is so much more pronounced in the garden variety. You can buy chicory seeds from Richter's here in Canada. They offer a host of other herb seeds and a few heirloom vegetable variety's. Here is the cookie recipe: 1/3 cup peanut butter; 2 T. honey; 3 T. water; 1/2 cup sesame seeds- hulled (I used black ones); 2T. sunflower seeds; 2T. unsweetened, shredded coconut; 3/4 cup quick oats; 1/4 tsp. salt. Combine peanut butter, honey and water in mixing bowl. Add remaining ingredients. Mix. Form into 2-inch balls, flatten, and place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees until lightly browned - approximately 7-8 minutes. Makes 8 cookies. Recipe from A Taste Of Nature Cookbook by Lavonne Hoover

6 comments:

  1. Interesting cookie and they sound super easy to make. Enjoy your treat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we lived in Africa chicory was the regular drink found everyone and coffee was not easily found. Well this was many years ago and it may have changed now a days. I must confess that I did not liked the taste. I would like to try again someday to see if my taste buds have changed. I can't have coffee because of the caffeine and I have high blood pressure that I am trying to control without meds. I love your glass mug. I have a thing about transparent mugs, that is what I use for everyday use although I have others around. I like to see what I am drinking. Thanks for sharing Ronda and also thanks for the visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Angela That is very interesting about the chicory in Africa. There is a wild chicory which is readily available in many places and I have tried it. I did not like it - too bitter- I found the garden cultivated variety doesn't have the bitter taste. On my last order to Organic Matters I ordered some chicory. I was curious as to the difference in taste and smell. I have not received my order yet - it's still being shipped so I cannot comment on that but I do suggest that you try chicory again! It may be that you may like a different variety other than the African one and maybe your taste buds have changed - I know mine have from twenty years ago. Have you tried garlic as in fresh - not the commercial variety found in pills - as part of your natural approach? There have been a number of studies in various countries all showing results that Garlic lowers people's blood pressure. One of these studies was done by doctor F.G.Piotrowski. Check out Herbal Pharmacy by John Heinerman; Natural Healing With Herbs by Humbart Santillo and Garlic by Dorothy Wade. I believe the suggested dosage is something like about 1 tsp. fresh organic garlic powder a day. I have never heard of any real negative side effects from taking too much garlic although If you are on any prescription drugs I would suggest talking to your doctor first. I hope that is helpful to you. My mug is from my lys duralex set that I bought last fall when I replaced my dinnerware. I love these mugs. I think it is really great what you are trying to do. Write to me any time you like. Ronda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was able to try my organic chicory root and it is from India. It definately tastes very good and would mix well with other additions to a hot drink. It has a very definite and different taste from the other two I have tried.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How interesting that you grow your own chicory! I have tried chicory coffee from Louisiana and it is really good. I didn't think about growing it myself. I will see if I can get my hands on some seeds to try in my garden this year. It is a great alternative to coffee, and you are right, it is important to find the right kind that is not bitter.

    Like Angela, I like your clear mug. I actually don't own one. My daughter had one, and it fell out of the cabinet and broke :( Reminds me I need to find another one.

    Your cookies sound delicious, healthy and a great snack.

    Hope you are having a great winter, hard to believe it is already February! Hugs to you today :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like fun to me to try Louisiana chicory! I believe chicory is a member of the carrot family. However when it comes to gardening it is more 'wild' than carrots and requires much less care.

    ReplyDelete