"Don't wish me happiness I don't expect to be happy all the time....It's gotten beyond that somehow. Wish me courage and strength and a sense of humor. I will need them all." Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Friday 13 March 2015

Ferns, digging and a........

Years ago I transplanted a lot of ferns into the front yard. At that time the forest floor around the cabin was barren and I loved the 3-5 foot high sword ferns growing nearby. Evidently, ferns have a very long life if their growing environment is left unchanged. These ferns are all well over 16 years of age as that's how long it's been since I transplanted them the first time around. Turns out now they are going to be in the way of the woodshed I have decided to build. Now I am relocating them along with the other volunteers that came up over the years. While the root system is shallow it's the weight of the roots that makes them a bit unwieldy. I've found it's easier to prune all the fronds off first before digging. The aroma of the earth is wonderful and I don't mind the dirt under my fingernails. The plan is to have it done before it starts raining next fall and I've got a little helper to assist me along the way.

Sent from my iPhone

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lot of work, but worth it to have your woodshed so you can have dry wood next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. It will make life easier. I will build it well enough that when I am an old lady I will still have dry wood.

      Delete
  2. All the fun is in the planning, the moving, and the scent of the earth? Perfume of spring. HAVE FUN DOING IT! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always heard it is best to take most of the foliage off before you transplant anyway-as it gives the roots a chance to get established and doesn't have to worry about feeding the fronds/leaves. I am one of those weirdos that love transplanting things...lol
    Happy planting with your sweet little "helper". What a blessing she must be. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to put great care in when I transplanted them but I have since learned how 'weed like' they are in this environment. So now I don't bother much and usually they are just fine.

      Delete
  4. I love ferns. I have them in my front garden. I always receive comments about them. Many people in our area do not like ferns in the garden. I love them!
    So sweet to have a helper...always make the work so much more fun.
    xx oo
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your garden sounds lovely. Even though they are everywhere for the longest of times I even had them in pots on my back deck.

      Delete
  5. I love the smell of freshly turned dirt. I hope you and your sweet helper have fun. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love my ferns. I have them in amongst the woods coming outward toward the yard and have pachysandra in front of that with areas of daylilies mixed in. Hard to dig up in that area and I am getting older and my hands hurt but I keep digging new areas, lol...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get the impression that you have a lovely yard. I'm not familiar with pachysandra. I'm going to google that one. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete